Friday, September 21, 2012

5 Tips for a Trip to London

I am by no means an expert on London. But in the 2.5 months I have lived on the outskirts I have taken multiple trips into the heart of the city, and I have learned some very valuable things.


Beat the Crowds


Yesterday, I went into London for touristy reasons at the same time as my man went in for work- 7am. Now, this means that the trains into the business areas were packed, and most stores were not yet open. But this also means that I was ahead of the crowds, and had a much more relaxed experience. For example, I went into the store Primark (think Walmart... Don't judge me, I'm a bargain shopper) right as it opened at 9am. Normally the store is packed, messy, and a bit stressful, but at 9am it was calm and I felt no pressure to hurry while I shopped.

The key to beating the crowds in London is knowing where the crowds will be. In the business district it is very busy as the day begins, but things thin out quickly. Chinatown is packed at lunchtime. The main tourist spots, such as the Embankment area, are busy in the morning, lunchtime, and afternoon.. ok pretty much all the time. Early morning, though, isn't too bad.

Just as you would with any large city, assume it will be crowded and the travel will take more time than you think it will. It's always better to be early than late!

Mind the Gap

The most popular means of public transportation around London is the subway, aka the Metro, Underground, or Tube. The most important thing to know is that the Underground is different from the National Rail Service, and while they sometimes share stations, you will need to get two tickets to travel on both.

Map of the main area of the Underground
Overall, the Tube is the easiest mode of transportation in the city. Reliable, fast, and cheap, you are never too far from a station. If you have ever used the subway in any other city, this will be no different.

There are a few things to take into account, though, when you plan on taking the Underground. One is the travel time between the station and where you want to go (duh), as well as the time from the entrance of the station to your actual train (huh?). Yes, I have entered a train station, and spent almost 10 minutes trying to get to my train. Some of the stations are very large, and some, very deep underground. As I said before, add extra time just in case.

Also, the trains are not always easily accessible for all kinds of people. Inside the city, they are more wheelchair accessible, but also more crowded. Outside the city, not all stations are wheelchair accessible. Also, if you are travelling with lots of luggage or small children, then this might not be the best means of travelling.

The buses in London are reliable, though used far less frequently, and sometimes have a lot of trouble because of the traffic. If you want to use a taxi, be prepared to shell out big bucks to go even around one corner.

Also very important for the trains- beware the times for the last train! They change daily and seasonally.

Don't Feel at Home 

Cool! M&M Store! Don't forget they also have them in Vegas, Orlando, and New York..

This is to warn you against something I have done many a time while travelling, and really regret- Don't do anything while on vacation that you can do at home.

I know, that sounds pretty obvious, but I bet you have done it without thinking about it. Here is my example- I was visiting Tokyo after having been in China for a year, and was desperate for a taste of home. Thus, we travelled all about to make sure we found a Mexican restaurant and an Outback Steakhouse. Yummy, and at the time I was satiated, but later I was disappointed with myself. Sure, only 2 meals out of a week wasted on the west, but still that was 2 meals that I didn't use to experience to wonderful country I was in.

Ever go on a trip, and go shopping at international stores? Trying to visit all the Hard Rock Cafes in the world? Maybe even all the McDonalds? Don't do it. Sure, go to Hard Rock and take a couple pictures, buy a pin. But you don't need to eat there. You should experience the place you are in, while you are there. Now, if you have never been to one of these places before (and probably never will, even if you have them in your country), ok that's a little different. But don't do what I did. Remember, most large companies are international these days, so seeing a Forever 21 in a different country isn't really that exciting.

Also related, don't forget that you are in a different country, and the prices are different! This is something I do all the time, much to my dismay. I get paid in US dollars, but obviously I buy things in GB Pounds. Quite the issue. Example- yesterday while shopping, I got excited for a shirt being £3. So cheap! Well, really that shirt is $4.50. Oh. Not a big deal with the small prices, but trust me, it adds up! Finished shopping: £30. Price I paid? $45. Yeahhh, no bueno.

Beware the Dangers

London is a city. Sure it is beautiful, historical, classical, and often has a Queen somewhere in it, but it is still a city. This means, like any other city, it has dangers.

Danger 1 

Pickpockets. Ladies, get zip-up purses, and hold em close. Don't put them on the back of your chair or on the floor. Men, deep pockets or a man bag. They are very common in London, and can save you a lot of grief.

Danger 2

Crazy train people. Trains, especially late at night, can be a haven for criminals and nutters. Be aware of what is happening around you. Don't fall asleep. Don't ride a train alone if you have been drinking. Remember, most of time the trains are travelling underground, i.e. no cell service. If you think someone is watching you, get off the train, and get back on in a different car (quickly, don't miss the train, and get stuck on the platform alone).

Danger 3

Lack of funds. Around the tourist areas in the city, you frequently see ATMs. Other places, they can be a bit more sparse. The use of cash is still quite prominent in London, and there are places which do not take cards. I'd say, have about £20 hidden somewhere on your body, just in case. Also, be aware that most "public" bathrooms actually have a small fee, so have a couple pounds in coins for those too.

Dress to Impress vs Sensibility

This is an area where I am struggling quite a bit. London is a very fashionable place, but it is still a big city in a country with varying weather.

Jacket

I'd say, even if the weather says it's going to be 90 and sunny, take a jacket. Don't worry, you won't be the only one who has one. London weather changes on a dime, and trust me, it's better to be safe than sorry.  

Bag

As a girl, I always have things I need to carry. My man also usually has (many) things he needs, so I end up carrying those things too. Now, I like my oversized purses, but after carrying them around for 6 hours, I can't stand them. Comfort-wise, the best bag for London is a backpack. They are more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. This, of course, is not the most fashionable thing, but they actually are quite popular with the business types.

Shoes

This is where I run into my problems. I love cute shoes, and only wear sneakers for exercising. However, every time I have visited London so far, I end the day wishing I had worn my sneakers. My advice? Attempt to calculate exactly how much walking you will be doing throughout the day. If you are staying in only one area, cute shoes are fine. But if you are trying to walk around a lot, then don't even bother. Your limping will ruin the ambience of whatever cute outfit you have put together anyway.


Purchases

You might think you look classy and cool carrying your Harrods bag around, but trust me when I say that 1. no one cares and 2. you are going to want to return whatever you got by the end of the day. Planning on making purchases? Do it as close to the end of the day as you can, and throw whatever you bought into your backpack or purse or whatever. A Bloomingdales bag at a restaurant is like an invitation for a pickpocket, or for someones spaghetti to fall in.


Any other advice you have for people visiting London? Add it in the comments! I will be doing a blog soon of actual places that a person should visit while they are here, check back later :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment